Rotary Club of Ajax

The Rotary Club of Ajax

The Ajax Rotary Club was chartered March 17, 1951 with sponsorship of Pickering, Whitby, and Oshawa Clubs. The Club was the 46th in District 247 at that time.

An earlier effort in 1949 had been made to form a Club in Ajax but at that time the District declined the request. In 1950 the matter was again brought to the District. The District Governor at the time was Arthur Ferguson of Gravenhurst who took a personal interest in the matter. He along with Rotarians Harry Boyes and George Finley of the Pickering Club drew up a roster of prospective members. With 20 members the Rotary Club of Ajax became a reality January 9, 1951.

A committee was formed to arrange a Charter Night at which the Charter would be officially presented to the first President Cec Winter. The event was held in the former DIL Recreation Hall. During this eevnt a number of donations were made to the Club to help it along. They included flags, name badges, pictures, a clock and a bell.

The first meeting place was the Saddle and Bridle Inn located just east of Pickering Beach Road on the south side of Highway 2. Unfortunately the Inn burned down in April 1953 and along with it the Club lost its Charter Certificate and other prized possessions. This was also the year that marked the birth of Rotary Park.

In 1953-54 the club took over the operation of The Community Hall and changed its name to Rotary Hall. It became the location of various money-making ventures. During this period of time was when Ajax Rotary started its long association with the Ajax-Pickering Hospital.

Over the years, the Club has had various homes where meetings were held. They include the Church of the Holy Trinity's Hall, leased space in the Harwood Mall, met the Carousel Inn (now Ballycliff Lodge), Ajax Steak House, Annandale Golf and Curling Club and for 13 or so years at the Canadian Legion.

The Club has been involved with a variety of projects over the years i.e. Rotary Park and the Hospital which are ongoing, music festivals, selling fertilizer, hams and pumpkins, Ajax Home Week and student exchange; the list goes on.

The Charter Night March 17, 1951 had in attendance the following members:

President - Cec Winter
Vice President - Bert Hill
Secretary - Harold Jenkins
Treasurer - Don Kemp
Directors - Bill Scarff, Reg Humphries, Bob Hunt & Jack Andrews.

Charter Members were:

Geoff Arnold

      Pat Bayly

  Les Faudell

  George Finley

Art Fulton

     Glynn Jones

  George Lawrence

  Bill Laycock

Bill Rideout

     George Simpson

  Clare Turner

 

Sponsored by:

Rotary Club of Whitby:

President - Donald Ruddy K.C.,

 

Committee Chairmain - Vern Rowe

Rotary Club of Pickering:

President & Committee Chairman - Harry Boyce

Rotary Club of Oshawa:

President - Stan Iverson

 
Sponsors